Saturday 11 September 2010

Times: Personal explanation [Sandra Camilleri on Cyrus Engerer]

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100907/letters/personal-explanation
Tuesday, 7th September 2010 by Sandra Camilleri, Sliema

With reference to the article entitled Engerer Slated For Sliema Deputy Mayor (September 6), I would like to clarify that my objection to Cyrus Engerer as deputy mayor is primarily because of what he said in an interview against GonziPN. Although I do not form part of the Nationalist Party anymore, I still felt hurt at the comments he made against the principles of the party.

I would like to clarify that I have many gay friends whom I fully respect but I do not believe that being gay is something that should be boasted about.

Also, I withdraw my comments regarding the rest of the councillors being a “nasty lot”. What I meant to say was that the way things were handled in the case of Nikki Dimech seemed to me to be a nasty way of doing things.

I understand that I may have spoken too openly to the journalist who asked me for my opinions on the matter and I may have said certain things in the heat of the moment which I do not really believe and which may have been misunderstood.

[Click on the hyperlink above to view the comments on the Times' website. See more comments here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment